Aromas act on our senses and influence our emotional, mental and physical states. Aromatherapy shows us how to use the natural aromas obtained from plants or other organic sources in the form of essential oils for our benefit.
The use of plants to improve health is not new, but aromatherapy in the form in which we use it most frequently today can be considered a new concept. If, in the past, aromas were used as simple perfumes, now, they are considered powerful allies to overcome states of stress, anxiety, to relieve pain and tension, to find peace, calm or to stimulate creativity.
The secret to obtaining maximum benefits is the correct use of essential oils.
Senses, sensory stimuli influence our choices.More than the other senses, smell is able to influence even our emotional state, triggering our memories, feelings, moods.
A simple aroma can awaken memories from the near or distant past, just as it can make us have different states of calm, relaxation, panic or experience feelings of closeness or antipathy.
Because aromas are so present and important in our lives, it is ideal to know how to use them in a beneficial way.
Using essential oils (aromatherapy) we can consciously influence our physical, mental or emotional state, banishing negative thoughts and opening ourselves to calmness, peace and relaxation.
The benefits of aromatherapy
Aromatherapy helps us to have a positive mood, it creates a favorable atmosphere for us to be more balanced, calmer, quieter and at the same time happier.
Essential oil therapy works especially on a psychological level.
However, there are treatments that can also relieve ailments or physical pain.On a psychological level, aromatherapy manages to bring balance, calmness, tranquility, but also to energize, to increase the level of optimism, spontaneity, creativity.
Its effects depend, of course, on the types of essential oils used.
Forms of aromatherapy
Aromatherapy is used in several forms, the best known and easiest being the aromatic one, that is, essential oils.Here are some forms of harnessing the benefits of essential oils:
Topic – essential oils can be applied directly to the skin when they are diluted in a carrier oil such as coconut, and can be used in different areas; temples, legs, wrists, behind the ears. To avoid possible adverse reactions, it is recommended to test the oils on a small area before application. At the same time, if photosensitive oils are used, avoid exposing the skin to the sun for at least 4 hours after application.
Massage – essential oils can be used as an aid to maximize the effects of the massage and to achieve a state of calm, peace, relaxation. As with topical use, it is important to test the oils before use to find out if we are allergic and not to use them in areas with injuries or on very sensitive skin.
Spray – one of the most readily available air fresheners is a simple mixture of plain water and a few drops of essential oil. Sprayed, this liquid brings a very pleasant smell to any room.
Calming bath with essential oils – this can be an excellent way to relax, the essential oils being absorbed by contact with the skin or by inhalation. They can be used in water with body milk or together with bath salts.
Inhalation with the help of accessories – different devices/accessories can be used to diffuse essential oils:
Ultrasonic diffuser/evaporation/nebulizer/with heat
Chain with diffuser pendant
Essential oils. What are essential oils?
Essential oils are found in all parts of plants – in the stem, flowers, fruits. Just as you enjoy the scent of lavender flowers, the energizing smell of mint leaves or the fresh aroma of citrus fruits, in the same way, essential oils charge your senses and help you enjoy a state of well-being, calmness and relaxation.
Used since ancient times for medical purposes/to maintain health, essential oils have returned today to the attention of those who are looking for complementary techniques to support a healthy emotional state.
When choosing essential oils, both the types of plants from which they are extracted, as well as the way in which they are extracted, must count.
Top 10 most appreciated essential oils
- Lavender – is one of the most used essential oils, having a very pleasant fragrance, but also special effects on the mind. Lavender relaxes, calms and is successfully used for those who have problems sleeping, being an excellent ally for a restful sleep.
- Lemon – has a fresh smell and is known to be an excellent home purifier. The use of essential lemon oil restores the state of energy, being a good remedy for anxiety, depression or states of exhaustion and fatigue.
- Mint – has a refreshing scent, being ideal for the home and office, but also as a natural car air freshener, as it relieves car sickness. Peppermint essential oil is recommended for energizing the mind and body, but it can also be used successfully in the case of respiratory problems or stuffy nose.
- Eucalyptus – is a tonic, but also an expectorant, being beneficial for respiratory diseases, being a very good nasal decongestant. Its smell is strong and refreshing.
- Frankincense – is a special oil, used to obtain a balanced mental state. Frankincense essential oil removes anxiety, relaxes and can be used successfully to obtain a context conducive to meditation.
- Bergamot – has calming properties, being suitable for balancing. Bergamot essential oil is considered the oil of soul balance. It is ideal for stressed people who need remedies to relax and remove nervousness.
- Lemongrass – or lemon grass, is recommended to be used in the office or in the work space because it reduces stress and stimulates concentration. Lemongrass essential oil maintains a happy atmosphere of good mood, at the same time, it unclogs the sinuses and helps with breathing.
- Cardamom – comes from India, has a spicy aroma and is considered purifying and aphrodisiac. Cardamom essential oil has tonic, aphrodisiac effects and is recommended to balance, awaken passion and desire for life.
- Tea tree – the main quality of tea tree essential oil is that of a disinfectant. It is ideal in summer for removing insects, such as mosquitoes or spiders.
- Ylang-Ylang – has benefits for the body, but also for the mind. It can be used as an aphrodisiac massage oil, but also as an antidepressant, helping to reduce stress and anxiety. Ylang Ylang essential oil is recommended for people who need confidence to boost themselves, to eliminate doubts and insecurity, of restoring a warm, safe and balanced atmosphere.
Aromatherapy can influence your mood so simply that, every day, you have a zen, friendly, warm atmosphere around you, a setting in which the positive mood persists.Start your day with a drop of joy! Smile! Enjoy energy, creativity or peace, balance, take care of your emotions and life will be much more beautiful!